Perplexed Text

Missives, musings and manuscripts by me.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Sunday Scribblings # 19

George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), when asked on his deathbed, “What would you do if you could live your life over again?” said, “I’d like to be the person I could have been but never was”.

Coulda, woulda and shoulda. Words I use often but try not to. Brando used it, “I coulda been a contender”.

The only coulda statement that rings true for me is “If I had 20/20 foresight I coulda lived the perfect life”. If I could go out to the golf course and shoot 18 every time there would be no challenge. “I coulda broke 80 if the wind did not come up.” If I caught the fish every time, fishing would be no fun. "I shoulda set the hook harder".

So yes, I coulda and shoulda done things differently. But my perfections and MISTAKES are what make me the person that I am.

In a different life I think I would have been a Buddhist monk with no worldly possessions. I always want something material in nature. My latest obsession is the Toyota FJ Crusier. Do I need it? Nope. I have a good SUV now. Do I want it? Yep.

The Buddhists believe that in order to obtain enlightenment one must give up all materialistic possessions. There is something to that I think. In answer to the Sunday Scribblings question, “I woulda been a monk.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Verity said...

The Buddhists also believe suffering begins with desire, and if we understand and examine that desire, we can free ourselves from it. It's not so much not having the possessions that matters, but letting go of the attachment to possessions...so, it's not too late, you don't need to be a monk to do that.

4:37 AM  
Blogger paris parfait said...

I have a friend in San Francisco who once was a Buddhist monk in Japan. He left the order, because they were so materialistic! He said they drove around in Mercedes, drank fine wine and dressed expensively. So the image doesn't always match the reality -like practically everything else in life, sadly.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home